Sunday, April 29, 2007

Biting Babies

My 7 1/2 month old cut her first tooth two weeks ago, which wasn't a problem until now. The past few days she has started biting me while nurse her. I have been firmly telling her "no" and screaming when she does it, along with pulling her off immediately. However, that only lasts for a few more nursings and then she bites me again. Last night she bit me so hard (and her tooth is soooo sharp) that she drew blood. Now it really hurts when she nurses on that side. I know this is a slightly odd topic for a post, but I would really love to hear any tips you have to offer. What did you do when your little babe decided to bite you? And any tips for making it hurt less when she nurses on my wounded side? Thanks!

5 comments:

Liz said...

My baby did this for several months off and on-i figured out that she'd do it if I was nursing and didn't have my attention completely on her! I finally resorted to stopping nursing whenever she bit me and then she got the picture! good luck!

Linz said...

Katie! Oh my gosh, this morning I almost cried when the same thing happened to me! NTG read me this from Parents magazine:
Q: I'd like to keep nursing my 8-month-old, but she's started biting my nipples. What can I do?
A. The next time she bites, remove her from your breast (break the suction with your finger) and say firmly but calmly, "No biting!" says Parents advisor Jane Morton, M.D., director of breastfeeding medicine at Stanford University. Then put her down and wait several minutes before resuming. It she bites again, end the feeding. Doing this a few times should do the trick. "Even an 8-month-old will get the message that when she bites, the milk goes away," says Dr. Morton.

kristi said...

I think that Linz advice is pretty good. You think that the baby will get the message that biting means no milk. I am not sure if this will help, but at the end of my nursing days with logan I got a cut. I don't think it was from him biting me, but instead I think that his tooth just kept rubbing against me. Of course he was one by then and had quite a few teeth. Anyway, to help it feel better I put some Lansinole cream on it. Hopefully it heals quickly!

Linz said...

Lansinoh is good stuff...great thought.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Lansinoh! It has saved me so many times!