Monday, April 2, 2007

Poly-Vi-Sol (aka: The Grossest Stuff on the Planet)

Okay, so ages ago Linz posted something about the nasty baby multivitamin, and although I'm sure we all have our own ways of getting our kids to take them, I thought I'd share my trick. My oldest was so grossed out that we just gave up after the first half bottle, but I'm older and wiser now, so I give our baby the vitamin drops and follow it immediately with a mini marshmallow. It makes me feel less cruel, and she's now a year old and still taking them. Every time I do it I think of D&C 29:39 "...for if they never should have bitter they could not know the sweet." :)

8 comments:

Linz said...

How long do you have to give kids the vitamins? I'm still doing it for V but I was hoping there was an end in sight!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure, but I believe until they're 2 and can take half of a Dora or Flintstone vitamin.

Liz said...

I mix it in with her rice cereal/oatmeal. She doesn't seem to mind that way.

kristi said...

I never gave my babies vitamins and they are all perfectly healthy. It is just a matter of what you as parents (the boss) want to do for your child. Unless of course there is a major medical need for it.

Liz said...

Thank you Kristi! I have to admit, we were terrible at it for months and her doctor made me feel guilty at each checkup even though I feelt he same way as Kristi!

Unknown said...

As I mentioned, Haley only had a couple doses before I called it quits, and she's fine. However, I doubt that either of my kids get all of the essential nutrients daily, and both of them have naturally low iron levels, as I do. It's not something to drive yourself crazy over, but I do believe it's important. It's not like our doctors are getting a cut from the vitamin company for telling us about it.

katie said...

Does someone want to explain to me what these vitamins are? My daughter takes ADEK vitamins because of her CF, but I didn't know all kids were supposed to take vitamins...

Liz said...

My doc said it was mainly for the vitamin D and iron because breast milk lacks it.