Sunday, April 29, 2007

My tupperware cabinet makes me smile

Up until about a year ago, the place where I kept my mountains of tupperware was extremely frustrating. As I searched for what I wanted, various containers and lids fell out in the process and I struggled to find matching pieces. I'm not sure that this is post-worthy, but if you're tupperware makes you sigh in discontent, here's what has changed me to feel so happy about my tupperware!


1. I took about 20 minutes last summer and took out all of my tupperware. I matched up containers with their lids and then threw away anything that didn't have a partner and anything that I never use.

2. When I received tupperware at my wedding, I got the kind where you have like four different sizes of circles, rectangles, etc. that can fit inside each other. I kept them separate from each other to save the time of opening lids until I got to the size I wanted. I've found that it actually saves time and frustration to store this type of tupperware inside of each other, nesting doll style.

3. For those Ziploc-type brand containers that you accumulate: I found that not all of the lids that I owned fit exactly on any container that looked like it was the same. My solution: I matched each lid with their partner and then wrote a matching symbol on each lid and container set with a Sharpie. When I take the container that has a little star on it from the stack, I just grab the lid that has a star on it and I'm set.


Wow, I'm blogging about tupperware--what has happened to me? Just kidding, I just love being organized and making things EASIER!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I didn't think your post was pathetic Linz, I found it quite helpful. My tupperware cabinet makes me want to go screaming out of the kitchen, but I have never found a solution that lasts more than a few days. I think I'll use your tips!

Katie Roll said...

Linz, I completely agree with Steph! It always feels better to have a nicely organized tupperware drawer:) Thanks for the advice!

Liz said...

I designated the tupperware drawer as the safe drawer for the baby to play in. So, now it's really unorganized and I really can't find any lids! Oh well! maybe in a few years!

Chantel said...

Hey Linz, as Philip was trying to help me figure out this whole blog thing he read your comments and quickly called me over because I do the same type of things. I didn't think of a sharpie, but I love my label marker. The clear label tape is machine washable and I label everything with it to stay organized. Kids sippie cups all have there names on them, and then when the younger sibling starts to use them I can take of the label and put their name. Love that label marker!!!!!!

Linz said...

I need one of those Chantel!