Thursday, April 5, 2007

Playdates

Last week I went to my first playdate in my new city with my 7 month old daughter. The moms I met there were very nice and I enjoyed the socialization. I'm really interested in playdates right now for both my daughter's benefit and mine. It's just good to socialize. I went into it thinking that I would definitely host one in the future. I arrived at the playdate about the same time as other moms. I was the only one with just one child and mine was very much the youngest there. There were 3-7 year old kids running up and down the stairs and through the house. It definitely gave little v a lot a lot to look at! Anyway, I want to have a playdate at my house sometime, but I just can't picture it with this scenario of older children and going up and down the stairs. We have a few baby toys upstairs but nothing else that I would allow kids to play with (I'm picturing children coming down stairs wearing my clothes!)! I thought that if I hosted a playdate I would have to have some planned activities like a craft or something in the kitchen or something. Our yards are very small but a sprinkler or water balloons or something might work on a hot day. I just wondered if any of you had ideas for activities!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kids are easily impressed, especially the pre-school crowd. All of your ideas would be great. Just keep in mind (as I'm sure you know from teaching) that there will always be at least one kid who's not interested in the planned activity and just wants to play with V's toys. When J was first mobile, I was most surprised to find that big sis H always wanted to play with J's toys and J wanted to play with H's toys! Apparently, kids don't care about specified age limits!

Kage said...

I would have been the same way....like NO THANK YOU.

I think you should keep looking for more friends that are on the same level as you and your baby...it makes it a little easier that way....and not overwhelming...plus it's not fair that you have to do waterballoons for all these older kids when your baby won't even get it.....

stacibee said...

I'm completely impressed with your venture into the playdate world. I agree, what a fantastic opportunity to get to know other moms better!? I'm with Kage though, it would probably be easier for both you and V if your group consisted of more babies and mom's in a situation similar to yours. How did you come upon a playdate group? Are they ladies in your ward?

kristi said...

I dont' think you have to worry about the big kids wearing your cloths :) I don't think my kids would ever do that. I do not think that there is anything wrong with your playdates having mainly older children. When your baby is very young I believe that playdates are mainly for moms. Of course it is nice to have other babies around so that they can grow up together, but I wouldn't give up on your current playdate yet. As for having it at your house, I wouldn't worry about planning a bunch of activities. You might just want to have the other moms bring a few toys that their older kids like. As a mother of preschool age children, I would not expect someone to play all of these activities just for a simple playdate. As long as I was asked to bring some toys for my kids, I would be just fine.