Wednesday, May 2, 2007

PBS Special

Did any of you see the PBS special on Mon and Tues on Mormons? The First Presidency had issued a statement letting us know it was going to be on, however it wasn't done by the Church. Some of the apostles were interviewed, but the majority of the interviews and statements were made by historians, people who had left the church, researchers, professors, etc. I personally didn't care for it at all. I missed Monday, but I saw last night's. I thought that even though it seemed like they were trying to be objective, the overall purpose was to make us look really weird. A lot of times they made statements that were technically true, but they left so much out that it just sounded ridiculous. Anyway, I went to bed feeling awful, and worrying about what people who aren't members of the church must have thought about it. I just wondered if anyone else saw it, and what you thought. Am I way off here???

6 comments:

Liz said...

I didn't watch it so I can't say anything about the special, but I read Joni's post on her site and thought it was very well said. I went to the PBS site this morning and read some of the comments and some felt like you and others felt it was "balanced". However, the FAQ page, i thought was pretty well done with links to mormon.org and lds.org and good answers to a lot of questions.

Aubreydoll said...

I totally agree with you, Stephanie! I only caught a little bit on Monday night but I watched most of it last night. I did turn it off right before they started talking about temples because I knew they would make us sound wacko! I felt a lot of things they were quoting were taken completely out of context.
Anyway, I knew it wasn't going to put us in the greatest light, but I was still disappointed.

Joni said...

I just have to remember that "no unhallowed hand" will stop the work from going forth.

If you want to further know my opinions on the show you can go to my blog. The "OopsaDay-sies" link is on the sidebar of the main page of Sugar and Spice.

Kage said...

I only saw the first one and half of the second (need to finish it tonight). I really like it. My fave part was Verdoia saying something about the transformation of the church in 2 generations was breathtaking. I also like Quinn talking about us getting too comfortable in the world. We are weird...we area peculiar people, and I love that about us.

Kage said...

I meant Givens, not Quinn...sorry

Brandi Schall said...

I was disappointed in the piece. I thought it was really negative about Joseph Smith. There was an article on meridian online that I thought gave a good critique:
http://www.ldsmag.com/arts/070504pbs2.html

-Brandi Schall