Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why I don't win Mom of the year....

Thought I'd share a story from my day, probably my most embarrassing moment and NOT my proudest moment as a mother. I was in the baby clothing section of Target. Now we all know I love Target, and I love baby clothes. But I didn't realize just how absorbed I was until I heard a voice saying, "Ma'am, that's not your cart." Concentration shattered, I looked up at the first girl I saw, and thought to myself how embarrassing that must be that she took off with someone else's cart. Then again, the voice said, "Ma'am, that's not your cart. Your cart's over there...with your baby in it!" Finally, as I had a heart attack and let out a little shriek, I realized she was talking to ME. I had paused to look at something, and then started pushing someone else's cart, while leaving my cart with my precious daughter behind. I don't think my face has ever been so flaming red with embarrassment, or my knuckles so white from gripping the cart, swearing I wouldn't let go of it again, even for a second. I know it had only been seconds, but how far would I have gone??? It definitely freaked me out. So I was just wondering, has anything similar happened to you guys? Anyone ever left your children behind, or do I really win worst mom of the year??? Make me feel better ladies!

7 comments:

Joni said...

My best friend in Ohio told me about when her husband gave her a break from her older two kids by letting her go shopping without them. She took her newborn with her though. She was so absorbed in her thoughts and they idea that she was "shopping without kids" that she totally forgot she had her baby with her and left her in the car while she shopped for an hour! The good news was the baby had slept through the whole thing and nothing happened, but she was just dying with guilt.

Kage said...

For about the first 6 months of my second daughter's life, I couldn't get my brain wrapped around the #2, 2 kids...you have 2 kids, not 1.

As a result, we would be half way to our destination (in the car) and my older daughter would yell: MOM, I'm NOT strapped in! I was so used to checking off 1 carseat in my brain, that 2 was just beyond my abilities.

Also, I am often only with 1 child b/c one is at school, and there have been plenty of times when I panic and wonder where one is, only to realize, she is at school....

I am worse at misplacing my husband. I once CUDDLED UP to the wrong guy at Blockbuster, looking at a video over his shoulder, and I even goosed the wrong man at church...yes I squeezed the butt of a ward member that was NOT my husband, RIGHT in front of the missionaries. Classic.

kristi said...

I have never left my child behind, I don't think. But like Kage, after I had my second baby I forgot to strap my older one in. We were driving down the street and all of a sudden I realized he was leaning way to forward. I looked back and sure enough he wasn't buckled in. To make matters worse, he wasn't even 2 yet.

Liz said...

I have pretty much done the same thing at Target, even in the baby department like you! I didn't take someone else's cart but I'll slowly wander away and then realize I'm halfway across the department and she's not exactly safe there by herself!

Linz said...

I didn't exactly feel like mom of the year when it was my fault that my baby banged her head on various objects three times last week!

That was a great Mom story, Steph. We can all relate!

katie said...

Steph, you crack me up!

Aubreydoll said...

Stephanie, I laughed so hard when I read your story! We all do stuff like that at some point so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Thanks for the laugh!