Sunday, October 21, 2007

Book request

I know we've given tips before, but I would love some new ideas for books for my one year old. However, I'm going to be kind of picky. I've learned that people love different things in Children's books, so I'll give you an idea of the kind of books I like to get. Linz raved about the book "Over in the Garden," by Jennifer Ward, and it's now one of my faves! I know they say simple books with not a lot of words are good for toddlers, but let's face it...they're not very fun to read! The words of this book flow in a very pleasant rhyming pattern, and I love reading it to her! It also has great pictures. So call me selfish, but I like books that are fun for ME to read! As far as books that are touch and feel, or have flaps, etc. Katie B. just got us the coolest book ever for Skyler's birthday. It's called "Tails," by Matthew Van Fleet, and every page has several different textures of animal tails to feel, as well as flaps to pull out, flaps to make the tails wag, etc. And, there's A LOT of pages! Sometimes toddler board books have like four pages, which I personally think is pretty lame. So anyway, there you have it. Those are two books that I feel strongly enough about to rave about. If you have any, please share!

6 comments:

Liz said...

I love the Miss Spider books. They are colorful, clever, rhyme, tell real stories with hidden themes like colors and such.

Boynton books are always good for rhyming, humor, sing-song books.

Tiffany said...

I was going to suggest Tails. My daughter LOVES that book and she's only 8 months! She's always trying to read it though! Also, we really like Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra Boynton. We got it for $5 at Kohls one week and its so fun to have the CD with the book!

Also, we really like You Are Special by Max Lucado (we have the real book and the board book for her to look at now).

Dr. Seuss is always fun. I love Good Night Moon by Margret Wise Brown too. For older kids, I think that the Froggy books by Jonathan London are hilarious. I think that's it for now.

highdeekay said...

My baby (6 mos) and I both love Finklehopper Frog by Irene Livingston. There is another called Finklehopper Frog Cheers that I'm anxious to get. Another that I love (for slightly older kids) is Stand Tall Molly Lou Mellon by Patty Lovell and David Catrow.

Linz said...

I have a book by Kevin Henkes that I enjoy and his books might be worth exploring. I think some are board books and some are not, but they are definitely stories and not just single words next to pictures or whatever. We have Chrysanthemum because it's about a girl who learns to like that her name is a flower.

Linz said...

I was thinking you would like Bear Snores on. We have it in board book. It's a decent length, rhymey, and super cute. It's probably my VERY favorite.

We also love The Hat by Jan Brett. Very cute story.

Tiffany said...

Ooh! I also love Kevin Henkes! I love Julius, Baby of the World and Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse.