Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"Sip Tips"

Alright, I know we've had some posts already on when to start the sippy cup and whatnot. My issue is slightly different though. My newly turned one year old started using the sippy cup at meals months ago. However, she refuses to give up the bottle in between meals. According to my pedi, and the literature I have, she should still be getting 24 oz or so a day of milk. She doesn't take even half that at meals. She'll drink maybe 2 oz or so with each meal. If I try to offer the sippy cup in between meals, at the times when she usually gets a bottle, she cries and cries until I give her a bottle. I've had people say it's no big deal if she takes a bottle once or twice a day for a few more months. But is it going to get any easier for her to give it up in a few months? Do I just say tough love and take it away? I'm just worried she won't get enough milk if I do that. Have any of you had problems with this???

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote for tough love, although you definitely know what you and your little one can handle better than anyone, so just follow your gut. There were just so many things I let my oldest hang onto because she cried, and I really regret not cutting her off when she was one. It would have saved so much grief later!

Liz said...

We had the EXACT same problem and tough love works! Yes, it will be harder to separate as they get older (according to most). I worried about the same thing and my pedi actually calmed me down, pointing out all the other dairy she was getting (cheese, yogurt) so not to worry too much about missing calcium right away and also pointing out all the extra hydration (fruits mainly) that she was getting from other sources so not to go too nuts over the 24 oz. thing. It evened out as she got used to just getting it from cups and now she's a milk fiend!!! I have to encourage ration her milk at meals or that's all she eats!! Most babies take cold turkey a lot better than easing things away-out of sight out of mind is usually easier for them to take. So I'd try getting rid of them all and toughing it out over a few hard days! Good luck!

kristi said...

I DID NOT take the bottle away at exactly one year. Personally I think that is ridiculous. One year old is not some magic number. Yes pedis want you to take it away from them, but who cares. They are not the boss of your child. I learned very early that most of the things the doc told me was a mere suggestion, but I was the parent in the end so what I wanted to do trumped it. I know I may sound like I am on a rant. I had a sis in law that took the bottle away from her first at exactly one year and she actually regretted it. If you feel like your daughter isn't ready, let her have it for a little while longer. It is no big deal, trust me you will be able to get rid of it.

Linz said...

This is sort of off-subject, but my pedi said my 1 year old should be drinking 24 oz. at the max. Maybe she doesn't need as much as she's getting and that might ease your mind if she doesn't end up drinking as much once you take the bottle away.

Liz said...

Linz, i remember her saying 16-24 oz. becuase I was worried like Steph so you may be right about 24 being max