Monday, October 22, 2007

It's getting cold out there...


Last winter, we battled ear infection after ear infection with our little one. It runs in the family and so I expected it. She was such a trooper and usually quite good about feeling so crappy but I remember being so relieved when she was over six months and I could give her cold medicine. We had colds through June, so I've already been gearing up for another long winter! So, while I want to follow what the experts are now saying about cold medicine, I'm a little dismayed! No cold medicine under the age of six! They say it doesn't help! I would like to say it does but I know part of it is I feel like I'm helping when I give her medicine. I also wonder how much just Tylenol or Ibuprofen helps because that's usually part of the formula too.

Some of the things that help now that cold medicine is out:
-humidifiers! If you don't have one, I strongly suggest it. The white noise helps them sleep and the humid air clears congestion(and helps with voice quality by the way)
-vitamins! I was so good with the nasty brown liquid vitamins when M was little and last year was terrible. I've always wondered if there's a connection.
-of course rest and hydration
-good hygiene! This is another duh! one but sometimes it's so easy to skip hand washing, teeth brushing, (or maybe I'm just a lazy mom!) :)

What else has gotten you through colds? what do you think of the new recommendations? Are you a follower or a skeptic?

7 comments:

Linz said...

What are the recommendations for vitamins for toddlers?

Linz said...

It seems unavoidable in some respects, but I think all of your suggestions are terrific. I've never been good about the humidifier but I really should be. Thanks for that reminder.

Liz said...

most of the ones I've seen say 2+ and so M hasn't had vitamins for several months because there's no way she'll tolerate the brown crap right now and I've thought she'd be fine with the gummi vitamins and such but worried there was a reason they shouldn't have them before two but don't really know. sorry, not much of an answer! :)

highdeekay said...

Did you give her the brown stuff while she was being breastfed? My Pedi told me not to worry about vitamins until we weaned. Should I press him about it?

Liz said...

I used the brown stuff while being breast fed. My pedi made it sound important because breast milk is low on vitamin D and us Minnesotans don't get a lot of sun! :)

Unknown said...

I second the importance of the brown stuff even while breastfeeding. As for vitamins, talk to your pedi. Mine said my 18 month old was fine with half a Dora or Flintstone vitamin (which she'd been taking since she was 15 or 16 months because she saw her big sis taking them), because she'd pee out anything her body didn't use.

Stephanie said...

I absoultely agree with the no cold medicine. Liz&Meg, I think you were right on the nose when you said it makes "us" feel better to do something to help them. But really, there is no medicine that can treat colds. Maybe alleviate the symptoms to an extent, but my personal belief is that if you have a cold, and your nose is draining etc. it's part of the process to rid your body of it. We drink lots of fluids, take vitamins, and try to rest when we have colds around here!

p.s. And if you're little one is under 5, it's recommended for them and their parents to get flu shots! That's my little nurse plug for ya...