Sunday, October 28, 2007

"SEX"

I've been student teaching a 7th grade science class since September. The kids say some pretty funny things, but Friday's comment wins:

I had to explain to the students that we were starting a new unit on genetics. As part of the unit we have to talk about "sex cells." Through all their giggling I was able to explain that we weren't going to talk about sex, just sex cells and how they are different from blood cells, skin cells, etc.

I told the kids that if they were uncomfortable saying "sex" they should go home and practice saying it so that they could get use to hearing it said by me, their classmates, and themselves.

After my talk I'm walking around, handing out papers, and one of my most *obnoxious* students says, "Mrs. Coates, is it OK if I just say 's-cells'?"

I told her NO WAY. In a science class we use the scientific words. Just like in English...a teacher would never let you refer to a verb as "that v-word."

She tells me, "I made myself a promise never to say words like that."

So I said, "Words like what? SEX?" (I made sure to exaggerate every letter of the word)

She then tells me, "Mrs. Coates, I think Satan is using you to test me."

Please teach your children that there is a time and place to use "bad words."

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love that story...it is hilarious. :)

Natalie said...

oh now that is funny!!

Liz said...

I read that on your blog, that is too funny!

Stephanie said...

Lol, you must live in Utah????

Skipper said...

Yes. Right in the heart of BYU country actually. Not a hard guess, was it?