Friday, October 26, 2007

Weaning

Did anyone have really strange things happen to their bodies when they started to wean baby from breastfeeding? (and the much anticipated (ha) return of their periods)

Everything seems to be happening at once for me, and starting Sunday night I would wake up in the middle of the night with a rapid heart rate, difficultly breathing and warm and tingling hands and feet... the tingling lasted throughout the day as well, though finally stopped yesterday. And then in the mornings I have awful headaches. I went in to the dr., they ran a bunch of tests, and no conclusions yet. Margaret is eating a lot less (she'll be a year old Nov 8th), and that really is the only thing that is different. After talking with my sister she said she had some really strange (some similar) things happen to her when she stopped feeding her kids. So I was wondering did anyone go something similar?

6 comments:

Liz said...

i was very lucky with weaning and my little one self weaned so slowly that I didn't have any problems but I have had friends who got sick, infected, and were in a lot of pain so you're certainly not alone!

Linz said...

I have not heard much about your symptoms before, but I'm new to this so I'm sure there are similar stories out there.

One of my sides dried out before the other (I know, weird). The first side was engorged and uncomfortable for a few days, no problems at all with the other side.

You were good to see your doctor. I'm sure things will be back to normal soon!

kristi said...

My youngest pretty much weaned himself too. Of course, I am not one of the lucky ones who doesn't have a period the whole time I am nursing. I think I got my period when my baby was like 4 or 5 months old.

Stephanie said...

That didn't happen to me, but I weaned gradually. Did you stop pretty abruptly?

Bethany said...

My son was "accidentally" weaned. I know that sounds weird. We were moving (driving for 3 days) and I was trying to nurse him but it was really hard. Thankfully I didn't have any problems with soreness, infections or such. Just emotional. I didn't have my period the whole time I was nursing ... and still haven't had one. I found out a month after I weaned Luke that I was pregnant!

Tiffany said...

Megan weaned herself before I wanted her to. She got new teeth and she really wanted to use them...so she kept biting me. This hurt really bad. I tried tons of different things to get her to stop...nothing worked. So finally I flicked her (not hard, just enough to get my point across) and said, "No biting!" And she looked at me like, "So...that's the way it's gonna be Mom." And refused to nurse ever again. Maybe she's just really obedient and thought I was saying, "No nursing." But mostly..I know she's just stubborn. Anyway, luckily I just pumped gradually so that I didn't become crazy engorged and nothing bad really happened. Sorry that things aren't going so great for you!