Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Standards Night Ideas

Okay ladies, I need your help. I've been put in charge of our branch Standards Night for youth and parents (with very short notice). I have some ideas but I need more. The "theme" is taken from an article in this month's Ensign - For the Strength of You. We will be meeting in the home of a good family so the Spirit will be there. The plan is to separate the parents from the youth to talk about the importance of the standards in For the Strength of Youth. Then we'll come back together for a conclusion. This will be on a Sunday evening. Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

3 comments:

Jen L said...

I really wish I had some good ideas, but I don't. Well, just make sure you talk about the "why" and not just the "what" and "how." We can talk to the youth about standards until we're blue in the face, but unless we teach them the reasons, and they develop a testimony of God's love for His children, and experience a change of heart, our teaching the "how's" is useless.

There was a great article in the church news (week ending Sept. 29) about modesty. Very clearly stated, and it went through all the "why's" about modesty instead of just what to do or not do/wear. I don't know if that would be helpful or not. If you'd like it, but don't have access to it, just let me know. I can e-mail it to you.

Liz said...

The first thing I thought of was to emphasize the blessings of having standards. Sometimes we get the negative lecture of all the evils of not following them when I think it's important to emphasize how we're blessed by being obedient and healthy and pure, etc. Kind of like what Jen L said about the "whys". Otherwise, I'd be straight with them.

highdeekay said...

Jen, I'd love you to email that to me: highdeekay@gmail.com. The article in the Ensign talks about helping them see the promises. That goes along with what both of you are saying. Thanks.