Saturday, March 31, 2007

Enjoying/Surviving Conference



I love General Conference! I always look forward to it and I feel like it comes just in time! Now that our little one is a year though, I'm discovering that I have to renegotiate my conference going and expectations, like most other things we've had to re-evaluate since we entered parenthood. I don't get to sit and enjoy and take notes anymore. In fact, we were at home this morning, struggling to listen to halted internet feed because the little one is sick and it doesn't come on tv to the poor in Minnesota! But I actually like going to watch at the chapel. Don't get me wrong, I liked watching in my pajamas at home when we lived in Orem, but I also feel like I get more out of it when I'm dressed and at the church! Anyway, any survival tips? How do you pay attention and enjoy it when you have to compromise staying at home or watching at the church? (let's face it eight hours is too much at church time for any kids!) I do enjoy reading the Ensign the next month, but I'm not good at going back and listening to sessions...but maybe I should be!

4 comments:

Joni said...

Often, especially when we have to go to the chapel to watch, my husband and I take turns each session, take notes and share. You don't see all of it, but what you do see is meaningful and having your spouse relate what they got from the speakers often makes things more memorable.

katie said...

That is a great idea Joni, thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

great idea! thanks!

Stephanie said...

I don't have much advice to share, since this is also my first experience with watching/listening to Conference with a little one around. But I did notice today that the few talks I was able to listen to seemed to touch me especially strong. Sometimes I feel like Heavenly Father really looks out for and blesses us women. It's like He knows we are raising His children, and we have a desire to listen to His prophets speak, so it only makes sense that He would help us get as much out of it as possible, if we are at least trying! Not preaching doctrine here or anything, just a few thoughts I had.

One thing that does help me is writing down things that especially touch me. At first I didn't even get out stuff to take notes, because I knew it would be hard with the baby. But it seems like no matter how great a talk is, if I don't take notes I forget after a day or two. So I tried to at least write a quick sentence or two when something really struck me!