Thursday, March 29, 2007

One of my fave children's books


This is one of my favorite children's books, Over in the Garden by Jennifer Ward. I used it so much when I was teaching elementary music because it was a great way to hear individuals and small groups sing. I read it all of the time to little v. I love it because you actually sing it (of course you don't have to). The book is sung to the tune of "Over in the Meadow" (the melody is written in notation on the inside cover if you don't know it). Jennifer Ward made "Over in the Garden", "Somewhere in the Ocean", "Way out in the desert", and possibly more. They are all the sung to the same melody, they include countng from 1 to 10, you can find the number hidden on each page, and kids can count the number of animals/bugs on each page. Once your kids are older, they can join in by singing part or all of each verse. For instance, here is an example of one of the pages and the part that your 4 year old can sing is in bold italics:

Over in the garden where the sunflowers grew
Lived a mother ladybug and her little beetles two.
"Crawl!" said the mother. "We crawl!" said the two.
So they crawled over petals where the sunflowers grew.

Just wanted to share!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I love this! I can't believe I've never seen it. Thanks!

Aubreydoll said...

What an awesome sounding book! We've been trying to think of some things to get Bauer for Easter and I think we found one...
Thanks Linz!

Stephanie said...

I'm always looking for new books. I get bored with ours. Thanks!