Monday, March 5, 2007

I love Italian! ...and so do you!

(Sorry, it's from Star Trek 4) :)

PASTA AL FORNO
This is from my Aunt and Uncle who served their mission in Venice so I want to say it's "authentic" but who knows! I do know they're good cooks!

1. Saute in olive oil (just enough oil to cover pan):
1 large onion, chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
2. Add and brown:
1 carrot, chopped (sometimes I add more)
1 lb. Italian sausage
3. Add:
4 cans diced tomatoes
4 cans tomato sauce
~1 Tbsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. dried basil
1 bay leaf
pepper to taste
4. Simmer sauce all day long. Add tom paste to thicken if needed
5. Cook 1-2 packages rigatoni AL DENTE (two boxes will make 1 1/2 casseroles)
6. Put pasta in dishes and add:
2 lbs. mozarella cheese, cubed
7. Pour sauce over and mix together
6. Cover and Bake at 350 until hot through. Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese!

It feeds an army but it freezes well and is great for dinner parties!

MARDIE'S PIZZA DOUGH
This makes enough for two pizzas:

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp. yeast
Dissolve yeast in water

Add, mix and knead:
1-2 Tbsp. sugar (sometimes I add this early to the yeast mix to activate it)
1 tsp. salt
4 cups flour

(Preheat oven with pizza stone at 450 for at least 30 minutes)
Let dough rise until double, punch it down and let it rest a few minutes.
Smooth cornmeal on your pizza peel. Form dough into a circle and top as you like! We like the Contadina canned pizza sauce-one can does two pizzas. Our favorite toppings are pepperoni, sausage, olives, and artichoke hearts!
Slide onto your stone and bake for ten minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are golden!

And...indulge me for one more! I know, I'm going nuts again!

Chicken Milano

2-3 chicken breasts, cut in bite size chunks
1/4 onion, chopped and 1 minced garlic clove.
Saute garlic, onion and chicken until chicken is lightly browned in a little olive oil (enough to coat pan)

Stir in:
1 can tomato soup
1 4oz. can mushrooms, undrained (can use fresh but might want to add a little water to thin the sauce)
1/2 tsp. basil
2 medium zucchinis, sliced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 dashes oregano (I use more!)
Boil then simmer for 20 minutes covered, stirring occasionally.
Serve over rice!

3 comments:

Linz said...

I was hoping you'd put your pizza dough recipe up. You rock!

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I make your pizza (or at least do my best) at least twice a month, and I'm so excited to try the other recipes!

Liz said...

I know I've made the pasta al forno for you before. It's so easy!