Monday, February 19, 2007

Chain Letters

Okay, so I need a consensus. We all get them: The infamous Chain Letter. Send X item to the first person on the list, put your name at the bottom, send to six friends, you will receive 36 articles of said item.

So what are your opinion of these letters? I've had them for recipes, dish towels, kid's books, kid's stickers, flip-flops and socks. I've always been a pretty willing participant. Who doesn't want 36 pairs of flip-flops or a plethora of new recipes? Of course, I always get shafted and receive, usually, nothing in return. So if nobody ever really participates, how do these things keep being perpetuated?

Do you participate?

Are you just annoyed?

Would you participate if you felt like you would actually get what was promised?

Discuss.

6 comments:

Rural Dee said...

I once got the sock letter, and I was so excited. I went to the store and got the brightest, softest, most tacky, beautiful pair I could find. I was so proud. I hoped someone would give me a pair of equal tackiness. But then I too received nothing in return. It broke my chain-letter spirit and now I just throw them away.

Liz said...

I got them and always ignored them. Then I got the book letter when I was pregnant and got so excited-I had a reason to do it now! I sent out all the letters but never got anything!

Liz said...

although, shamefully, I must admit, now I'm thinking, did I ever send that book? So that's how it gets perpetuated, the awful people like me who send on the letters and don't do the hard part themselves!!! I think I went into labor instead but that may be me rationalizing! ha!

Stephanie said...

I must admit, I'm one of the chain letter breakers. I hate the fact that you get it without any say in the matter. You don't choose to participate in the first place, but if you don't...you ruin it for everyone else. I like it when a friend who's doing it asks first if it's something I would do, before sending me the letter!

kristi said...

I have never received any letter in the mail. The only one I have received is the recipe email one. I usually do it and then I barely get any recipes. It is a real bummer.

Linz said...

When I was a teenager I responsibly sent out a pair of sock and a one dollar bill. When I didn't receive anything back I pretty much vetoed any chain letter from then on. I did an e-mail recipe one once and collected about 8 recipes. I'd rather send an e-mail then send something in the mail.