Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chompers


I ran across some interesting information about pediatric dentistry and thought I'd share.


"According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 1 in 4 children in the United States have cavities by the time they are 4 years old, some as early as 2 years old. But getting those toddlers to brush isn’t always easy. As soon as she is able, or as soon as she can write her own name, let her brush her own teeth. For the fussy toddler, or for the child who has oral sensitivity, there are child-friendly products that can make the experience more fun. For instance, the Oral-B Kids Battery-Powered Toothbrush, or the AdvancePower™ 900 series provide ergonomic smooth handles and gentle vibration to make brushing fun. Cartoon character toothbrushes and flavored fluoride toothpastes also make the job more pleasant.


Your child should see her pediatric dentist 6 months after the first tooth appears, or when she turns 1. In addition to the general exam and cleaning, this gives you the opportunity to ask important questions about your child’s oral health. Some of these questions might pertain to tooth development, teething issues, biting, soft tissue concerns of the gums and cheeks, thumb-sucking, the use of pacifiers and other soothing objects, cavity risk factors, the use of fluoride and how to prevent oral trauma.For the best dental outcome for your child:

• Feed your child nutritious foods of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains and dairy products

• Provide healthy snacks two or three times daily and vary them from day to day

• Include snacks that will strengthen their teeth, such as biting into a whole apple when they are old enough, rather than small cut-up pieces or apple sauce for a younger child

• Brush their teeth with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day

• Brush their tongue

• Help them learn to floss when they are old enough

• Avoid leaving sugary substances on baby’s teeth for long periods of time. Rinse their mouth by offering plain water. Even breast milk can cause tooth decay if it stays on her teeth for a long period of time

• Make sure she gets regular dental check-ups starting 6 months after the first tooth comes in or when she turns 1."

10 comments:

kristi said...

I have never heard of a child going to the dentist at the age of one and my sister's father in law is a dentist. From what I have heard a child usually goes to the dentist around the age of 4. Of course, I could be wrong. Just wondering, where did you hear about this.

Linz said...

Thanks for sharing this stacibee

Liz said...

I had always thought the same thing as Kristi! In fact, my dental insurance won't cover my little one until she's three!

Joni said...

My pediatrician said I don't need to take my kids to a dentist until they are five.

Rural Dee said...

This is from my husband, who learned it this year in dental school:

The idea of children going to the dentist at age three or four has been a recommendation for a long time, but the newest studies indicate that for many children this is too late and their teeth are already rotting because they haven't been cleaned for a couple years. Of course, not all kids have this, but the problem is big enough that dentists now recommend taking your child not only 6-12 months after the first tooth but right around the time the first teeth come in. This is for reasons such as early diagnosis of developmental abnormalities, informing the parents of healthy brushing habits, and introducing children to the dentist from a young age so they are not afraid later on.

I hope that doesn't scare you, especially with the insurance issue. Maybe you could just fly down to Florida and my husband could take a look at your child's mouth for free while you enjoy the beach. ;)

Rural Dee said...

Also, if you have any other questions or want me to sleuth out more information on the subject, my brother-in-law is in his last year of schooling in prediatric dentistry and I could ask him.

stacibee said...

Ha, ha! I had no idea this would be such a controversial topic! I was just filling everyone in on what I read. I guess you should just do what you feel is best for your little one.

Rural Dee said...

Sorry! I didn't know it sounded controversial. I was just trying to give another source of information. I hope I didn't make anybody feel bad! None of your kids will have rotting teeth, I promise!

Liz said...

Are you kidding? I was fascinated! I'd never heard I should take her earlier and I'm going to do some investigating now!

Rural Dee said...

Phew. That makes me feel better. :) Good luck!