Saturday, February 10, 2007

Flu Season

Okay, I'm really tired of being sick and having sick kids. Tis the season, I suppose. My kids were vaccinated for the flu. But it all started with a little cold. Then strep, ear infections, stomach flu, sinus infections and now this awful cough. My family has been sick for about a month now. It's so darn cold that we can't get out and I honestly think that would help to break the cycle. I don't know how, but my husband managed to come out unscathed by a single germ. I'm a little bitter, not that I wish he would get sick because he's a BIG baby when he is and he's the breadwinner. Anyway - so tomorrow is Sunday and I think we may have to miss church yet again. I feel like I feel worse when I miss church, but the last thing I want to do is spread germs. I know I've gotten a little uptight when I hear the kid a few rows up with an awful cough or see someone in nursery with a nose dripping like a faucet. Anyway - that's my blurb on flu season. And why haven't they come up with a vaccine for the stomach flu? Lol! It is the worst!

5 comments:

Liz said...

I feel your pain! My family was sick for the whole month of January! Someone had something the entire month and I agree, it got sooooo old! We have found that Zicam (sp?) works well to keep my husband healthy and working when he feels a cold coming on. We also use humidifiers a lot keep us all breathing and hydrated! Those things help us a little.

Linz said...

Missy--do you feel like you all are coming out of it yet? I'm so sorry, what a rought month. The groundhog said Spring is coming early this year!

Natalie said...

There is this medicine called Air-Borne--it was created by a 2nd grade school teacher that was sick of getting everything from her students. I can't take it because I am still nursing,but my husbands family swears by it...and they are really never sick. I would just try really hard to wash your hands all the time and carry that hand sanitizer with you. Just some ideas that have--I sure you probably already do that, but it has helped me and my little one stay away from a lot this yucky season.

Joni said...

I hear you sister! I'm feeling the exact same way. We've had puking, coughing, congestion, sore throats, green snot, fevers, aches pains and lots of crying this winter. My husband just got the nasty bug that the rest of us had all last week and were praying he wouldn't get. It sucks. I feel for you.

And fyi, just since someone was so quick to point this out to me, stomach flu is a misnomer. Puking has nothing to do with influenza, which is what "flu" actually means.

katie said...

My family has been lucky this season and have not been sick with a cold or the flu, which is very good because my daughter is restricted to our apartment for that very reason. However, we have found one thing that has really done wonders in keeping us healthy. I don't know all the facts behind it, but here is what we have found to work:
Garlic oil
They make them in capsules to swallow, or puncture and squirt in your mouth, or you can even buy a bottle of it and drink it. They have natural antibiotic abilities and really strengthen your immune system. One sister in my ward even says if you put it in an ear with an ear infection, or in the nose for a sinus infection it works super fast!